Thursday, February 27, 2014

In the first poetry pack I found my self always going back to the Geology of Water.  I am not sure what kept drawing me to that poem. Perhaps its because I love the ocean, or its because the poem created the sense of being there.  Regardless of the reason, I really cant describe an emotion that it evokes, or an  attachment to its message.  As I read through the poem several times, I got a better grasp of its reason, or what it derives to.  The cycle of life, many generation buried under the sea telling us stories and holding thousands of years of history.  This poem had a lot of imagery that give you the feeling of being there when the author wrote it.
“A man made out of water whose words arise like bubbles to the surface.....”
This metaphor of bubbles and a man grasping for a breath amazed me, yet it confused me.  At that point I though it was referring to navy officer who invested many years on the ocean, engaged in war and witnessed many killings, but I was wrong again.  He was speaking about the many eras the sea holds within it.
“Wash that sea in me and wring it clean, ocean to ocean till there’s no water left”
A beutifull line to end this poem, asking to absorb all the years and stories in the sea, to make it a part of him, and to make him a part of the sea.  

Another Poem from this pack that got my attention was Descant.  Not because I understood its meaning, its because I could not figure our what he’s talking about.  This type of poetry is what makes me dislike poetry.  Nothing is clear, its so abstract that its takes so much effort to unmask one of its veils that it becomes boring.  This could be due to my lack in interest in poetry in general, but this is still a complicated poem that could be interpreted  in many ways, but why make poetry so complicated, I think a beautiful picture can be painted and made more relevant to every reader in a much better fashion, but thats only my opinion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment